Its reference is mentioned in the 17th century text, Giravana-padamanjari. Near Rama Ghat at the bank is the water-front puranic tirtha named Rama Tirtha, and there is a temple of Rama Pancayatana (the five images together). The name of the ghat is derived in this reference. There are three other water-front sacred spots, viz. Kala Ganga, Tamra Varaha and Indradhyumna. In 1665 the French traveller Jean Baptiste Tavernier paid visit to Varanasi and has described this ghat. It is obvious from this account that the ghat and Rama temple were built in the nearby past and were prominent in the scene. The Rama temple and the attached ghat both built by king of Jaipur (Rajasthan), Raja Savai Jaisingh. During the period of mass destruction of temples by the order of Mughal emperor Aurangazeb in late 1660s, this temple was also demolished. The present temple was built up in late 18th century. Other notable temples at this ghat are of Badri Narayana and Kala Vinayaka. Nearby to the latter one is a temple of Khandoba, a regional deity of Maharashtra, whose annual celebration takes place during 5th-8th light-half of Margashirsha (November/ December). This area is dominated by Maharashtrian people. -- In the mid 19th century the finance secretary of Gwalior Estate, Balaji Cimadaji Jatar has built this ghat with the support of the king Jiyajirao Shinde. After his name this is called Jatar Ghat. He has also built a multi-storeyed building (no. CK 24/ 33), in a portion of which exists the temple of Lakshminarayana. This temple is an example of the local craftsmanship, consisting of mosaic of colourful glasses in the large windows and light areas. At the gate there is an inscription, which reads the names of the finance secretary and the king, and their portraits are also shown there. Prinsep (1822) mentions this ghat as Chor Ghat. The name “Chor” (thief) reminds a fable about this ghat, which narrates the story that this ghat was defamed in the past for theft of the cloths of pilgrims and bathers. Greaves (1909) has mentioned this ghat as Jadau Ghat. The architectural beauty of the Lakshiminarayan temple is at the verge of danger limit; in lack of proper and immediate care this temple can be lost at any time. -- Till mid 19th century Gwalior ghat was part of Jatar Ghat. When Jatar Ghat was under construction the king of Gwalior Maharaja Jiyajirao Shinde has built this ghat; and after his name this is known as Gwalior Ghat. According to another tale one of the Peshava kings had also repaired and partly made the ghat pucca. There are three shrines containing Shiva lingas. The ghat is not important for cultural and religious activities.
All the pilgrimage routes pass through the south certainly touch this site. Even in the ancient mythologies (e.g. Matya Purana as in TS 101; VM 177; KKh 97.253), the Assi drain was mentioned as seasonal stream and a dried bed. The temple of Asi Sangameshvara (“Lord of the Confluence of Assi”) marked with a marble plaque establishes the puranic heritage of the site. The plaque reads that “in the Pancakroshi pilgrimage, this site is one of the Pancatirthis”. This ghat was mentioned in the inscriptions of the Gahadavalas (11th-12th century). In Varadaraja’s Giravana-padamanjari (1600-60) this ghat is also described with glory. By the turn of 19th century the long strip of the Ghat got divided into separate ghats. In 1902 the Queen Dulhin Radha Dulari Kunwar of the Sursand Estate (Bihar) had purchased the southern part of ghat and built her small palace (presently Hotel Ganga View) and also the Lakshminarayana Temple. Till 19th century the Assi Ghat was in a natural shape, an open land with green lush of trees. However, its glory was already described in the ancient texts under the name of “Assi Sangmeh Tirtha”. In 1988 the Ghat was made pucca (stone-staired) by the Irrigation Department with the support of the Ganga Directorate project. There is no plan for conservation. In fact, in the name of beautification and change the development and transformation of the ghat area turned to be a big problem. The closing down of Assi confluence (in fact shifted ½ km in the south in 1981-82) and the pucca construction of Assi and nearby ghats resulted to create a crucial problem of silt deposition. According to an estimate about 8200m of silt in a length of 60m get deposited every year along the Assi and Rivan ghats, and to get it cleaned a good sum of money is spent every year. Moreover, the course and the flow are changing which cause loss of the aesthetic sense and sacramental values of the ghat. The consequences of modern approach of short-term planning are clearly visible here.