The ghat was transformed with levelling and some built structure by Rajirao Balaji in ca 1720. This was rebuilt with stone slabs by Amrit Rao Peshva during 1780-1807, who was living in Banaras as exiled by the British authorities. Amrit Rao has also built the four temples of Amriteshvara, Vinayakeshvara, Narayaneshvara and Gangeshvara, and four auxiliary shrines, and also renovated the Prabhasha Tirtha in 1780. Earlier the ghat was called Amritarao Ghat as referred by James Prinsep (1821 and 1831) and Edwin Greeves (1909), but this was described under the name of “Raja Ghat” by Motichand (1931).
The northern side is the palace, and the southern part is the Annapurna Math. These two sections are divided by the stairway. Till 1980 there was a tradition to feed Brahmins, Sanskrit students, ascetics, etc. but when the INTACH started its programme and the Clarks Hotel took initiated to use it for promoting a special group of tourists, the earlier traditions vanished. In 1965 the Government of Uttar Pradesh has renovated this ghat and built the steps made of red stones. At the main entrance area, a refectory is built that exclusively reserved for the Brahmins. The refectory is a two-storeyed building with a terrace roof. On each floor are a kitchen, a storeroom and a large hypostyle hall lit in the centre by a square courtyard. Presently the Clarks Hotel organises various cultural evenings, Ganga Arati Ritual (“oil lamp celebration in honour of the Ganga”). There are three temples in the building compound, on the terraces: of Annapurna, Lashminarayana and Shiva.
The building is under the control of the INTACH, which look after its preservation, conservation and maintenance, using traditional techniques.