Also known as Ganga Mahal Ghat, the Khori Ghat was made pucca in late 19th century by Kavindra Narayan singh. At the top a compound of five-temples presents a magnificent view. Presently this ghat is the neglected one with respect to religious and cultural festivities. Even for daily sacred bath this ghat is not preferred by the visitors. In ca 1805 Babua Pande, a rich Brahmin of Chhapra (Bihar) has built a wrestling place and made this ghat pucca, this resulted to called it Babua Pande Ghat. Prinsep (1822) mentioned it as Panree Ghat; remember that Prinsep in almost all the cases misspelled the names. As mentioned in the Giravan-padamanjari (17th century) this was described as Sarveshvara Ghat. In fact, Babua Pande Ghat is the southern part of the Sarveshvara Ghat. In its vicinity lies the old water-front site of Prabhasa Tirtha, but presently the rituals on the name of Prabhasa Turth are performed near the Raja Ghat. The scene of this ghat has been dominated prominently by the Dhobis (washermen) so much that Motichand (1985) has described it as Dhobi Ghat. The wrestling place (no. D 24/ 17-19 and D 25/24) opened by Babua Pande is the landmark at this ghat. There is also a guesthouse for pilgrims. There a temple of Someshvara in the vicinity. The ghat was reconstructed in 1965 by the government of Uttar Pradesh. Sarveshvara Ghat is referred in the Giravan-padamanjari (17th century), that testifies its historicity. However, the overall space of the ghat was made pucca by the patronage of Mathura Pandey in late 18th century. The ancient water-front site of Ganga Keshava Tirtha is described close to the ghat.
All the pilgrimage routes pass through the south certainly touch this site. Even in the ancient mythologies (e.g. Matya Purana as in TS 101; VM 177; KKh 97.253), the Assi drain was mentioned as seasonal stream and a dried bed. The temple of Asi Sangameshvara (“Lord of the Confluence of Assi”) marked with a marble plaque establishes the puranic heritage of the site. The plaque reads that “in the Pancakroshi pilgrimage, this site is one of the Pancatirthis”. This ghat was mentioned in the inscriptions of the Gahadavalas (11th-12th century). In Varadaraja’s Giravana-padamanjari (1600-60) this ghat is also described with glory. By the turn of 19th century the long strip of the Ghat got divided into separate ghats. In 1902 the Queen Dulhin Radha Dulari Kunwar of the Sursand Estate (Bihar) had purchased the southern part of ghat and built her small palace (presently Hotel Ganga View) and also the Lakshminarayana Temple. Till 19th century the Assi Ghat was in a natural shape, an open land with green lush of trees. However, its glory was already described in the ancient texts under the name of “Assi Sangmeh Tirtha”. In 1988 the Ghat was made pucca (stone-staired) by the Irrigation Department with the support of the Ganga Directorate project. There is no plan for conservation. In fact, in the name of beautification and change the development and transformation of the ghat area turned to be a big problem. The closing down of Assi confluence (in fact shifted ½ km in the south in 1981-82) and the pucca construction of Assi and nearby ghats resulted to create a crucial problem of silt deposition. According to an estimate about 8200m of silt in a length of 60m get deposited every year along the Assi and Rivan ghats, and to get it cleaned a good sum of money is spent every year. Moreover, the course and the flow are changing which cause loss of the aesthetic sense and sacramental values of the ghat. The consequences of modern approach of short-term planning are clearly visible here.