Sridhara Narayana Munshi, a finance minister in the estate of Nagpur had built this ghat and partly the palatial building. After his name it was called Munshi ghat. In 1915 the Brahmin king of Darbhanga (Bihar) purchased this ghat developed in the form what it later on known as Darbhanga Ghat. In fact, this is an extended form of the Munshi Ghat.
The palatial building of Darbhanga Ghat is made of sandstone of Chunar, with a beautiful porches and Greek pillars. The strong steps for the roof were built in 1930. Of course, this area has been importance in the puranic context, but for its grandeur and architectural style this palace is very important.
In 1994 the Darbhanga palace was purchased by the Clarks Hotel Group, who named it as Brajrama Palace, and planned to transform it into five star hotel. They have already demolished almost half of the structure from the back. Its back perimeter is being extended and its height raised in order to make suitable for the use of the planned hotel.