Bajirao Peshva built this ghat and a palace nearby in ca 1735, that is how it is called after him. Havell (1905: p. 138) described this: “Before the basement had been raised many feet, the tremendous weight of the massive masonry caused a landslip, which made the whole fabric topple over, so that the work had to be abandoned. The unfinished façade and the ghat steps still remain…”. In fact, the entire structure sunk several metres into the each since its erection (Sherring, 1868: p. 72). Later in 1830 queen Baijabai of Gwalior get it repaired and rebuilt; she had also built the colonnade around the Jananavapi well. Close to the bank on stable ground a temple of Dattatreyeshvara is also built by Bajirao Peshva. By the existence of this temple, this portion of the ghat is also called Dattatreya Ghat. Presently this ghat is assumed to be part of the Scindhia Ghat.